9.11.2007

Work Week Graffiti.

It's been a long week at work... I can't finish anything and I forget everything that I'm supposed to do... so.. yeah, not much gets done on my end. I've written my tasks all over the place in hopes I'll remember, but no. If I worked corporate I wouldn't give a shit if I did my tasks, but since I work for a homeless advocacy group I feel I gotta do my part. One of the things I'm supposed to do is recruit people (women, since we had none at the last mtg) to join the Homeless Congress. I've been helping with the Congress for a year + it's a way for homeless/formerly homeless people from all backgrounds + shelters to join together + make changes in the community. We invite people from the County, City, Mayor's office and even the State to talk with the Congress. It really is a great idea. I just haven't got around to recruiting more people so our numbers are sliding. I can't justify being lazy for a good cause... I can explain why I'm lazy, but I can't justify it.

---x---x---x---x---x---

I guess it's now obvious that I'm pregnant. A man at the bus stop said to me yesterday, "Hey lady, how long you've been pregnant?" He then asked if I know the sex and I said I should by next week [update: I now know it's a boy!]. To which he expressed his hopes that the baby will be a "guy." It was funny b/c the guy was homeless and was assured that I was a student at Cleveland State. Maybe I'll see him at 2100 Lakeside Men's Shelter + he'll be set straight. It's always strange talking to a homeless person outside my work, especially when they ask for money to "help the homeless." I make pennies b/c my job is to "help the homeless."

Speaking of panhandlers...(and not all who panhandle are homeless and not all homeless people panhandle) the Downtown Cleveland Alliance (the street cleaners/safety patrol) have started a campaign to discourage people from giving to panhandlers. Will this really work? It's somewhat of a personal choice if a person wants to give up a buck or two. Instead, the Alliance plans to install boxes where people can make donations to homeless service agencies. I don't know who these agencies are or what they'll do with their dollar donations. In an article in the PD, it said panhandlers often beg for money for a bus pass but they can get free passes at local churches. ???? How come I didn't know of this? One of the biggest complaints is the lack of available transportation. I asked my supervisor about this + apparently the churches only give out like 4 passes a month to a person. So that really doesn't help.

And I'm sick of all this talk about tourists come to this city. Their virgin eyes!! We should ditch "Cleveland+" and advertise ourselves as the #1 City for Poverty. Come to Cleveland and meet interesting homeless people! Try to count all the abandoned buildings on Euclid Ave.! Which store will be the next to close? Just a thought.

1 comment:

CynDe said...

I am MOST, if not equally frustrated as you are.

I would love to comment on your first entry but it may be misinterpreted, deemed 'improper' and considered 'nonsense' possibly fueling 'hostility' so I will refrain from any 'frequent' contact. I feel your pain! =[

Commenting on Downtown Cleveland Alliance...
Several weeks ago I was walking south on E. Sixth heading to Superior Ave. when a (homeless?) man approached me and asked for some money.

It was very hot (near 90) and I had a dollar in my pocket. I asked him why he needed the money and he said to get a cold drink. I spotted a hot dog vendor at the corner so I said, "I'll buy you a drink here."

When we got to the vendor, the man asked if he could have a hot dog too. I felt bad because all I could spare was a dollar and maybe another 50 cents at the most so I said to the man he would have to make a choice between the drink or the hot dog. He chose the cold drink.

I spotted someone from the DCA street patrol about 50 feet away and asked him if he had a Street Card so I could give one to the man.

He had none.

I don't know where these 'donation boxes' are but, to date, nothing is posted throughout town as to where they are.

I do think it is worth investigating.

Great page, and congrats! That little boy is going to be loved. He is so fortunate! :)