7.07.2006

(504) Upping the Rent in NOLA.

http://neworleans.indymedia.org/news/2006/06/7861.php

Rent has gone up post-Katrina in the Crescent City. Why? That's what I'm trying to figure out, now that I'm in New Orleans.

Even though this is probably the coolest city in the US, I wouls guess that the city's status would have at least gone down a little after the hurricane. After all, mold abounds (you can smell it before you ever see it) + cockroaches zoom past you in the French Quarter. Katrina only escalated the trash + grit. Besides, this city is pretty much hazardous to yr health in the long run...

Hmm. What really pisses me off about the rent hikes is that I would eventually like to buy a shotgun house in the Uptown district. With the high crime/lower standards of living/the fact of being in hurricane central, I figured there would be somewhat good deals. Erg. All I want is a one bedroom shotgun with tall windows, ceiling fans on the porch, an iron fence, and a few oil lamps, all in the traditional New Orleans style. Heck I'd even take a house spray-painted with ASPCA markings. But even houses that need to be gutted are going for >$190,000. Erg, again.

No comments: