6.30.2006

(607) Gauging the Cost of Tofu.

I have an adopted dad who lives in Ithaca. When talking to him a few days ago, he explained his fight against GreenStar Cooperative Market, or what I refer to as the case of Noolie + the Ever-Observant Health Foodies of Ithaca, NY vs. GreenStar.

Apparently GreenStar is gauging prices. Being that GreenStar is a member of the International Cooperative Alliance, its prices are supposed to be the same as other co-ops, such as the one in Syracuse (an hour away). Well, the brochures from Syracuse + Ithaca look the same except for one thing: all Ithaca's (GreenStar's) prices are higher across the board.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but GreenStar, what's happening? Have you been bought out by Exxon's code of ethics? Have you adopted Shell's sense of consumer justice?

2 comments:

iWoman said...

GreenStar may v. well be gauging prices, but I don't think you should assume it just because the prices in Ithaca are higher than in Syracuse. I think you have to look at the market--and not just how much they can afford, but also how much of a market there is, i.e., how many people shop at each store, what the cost of rent, electricity, workers' wages, etc, is. GreenStar has to stay in business, and so the company has to look at how much business/revenue/profit/etc. they have to bring in to do so, and that is a factor in prices. I don't think GreenStar is big enough to not have to worry about these factors. How much of a price difference is there? So would the people in Ithaca rather pay more or have no store at all?

But like I said, they could v. well be gauging prices, but I don't think people accuse them of doing so unless they have looked at all the factors. I think a large group of people out there are ignorant about economics and supply and demand, because people don't understand that it's not free to run any kind of organization, and that a company may want to keep costs low but can't afford to do so. That's why I take any statement that some business is "evil" with a grain of salt.

iWoman said...

Have a good trip!